50 Years Later: Shag Harbour UFO Incident Festival On This Weekend

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2017 11:31 AM

It's been half a century since residents of a Shelburne County community saw an unidentified flying object disappear into the ocean.

The Shag Harbour UFO Incident Festival is on today through Sunday, celebrating 50 years.

On October 4th, 1967, a large, unknown object went into the waters off Shag Harbour.

RCMP, the Canadian Coast Guard and more investigated, but the mystery of what the object was has never been solved.

Society President Brock Zinck says this weekend will be a celebration.

He says many events are planned, including a witness panel on Saturday.

"They will tell their story, and take questions and answers. It's not just local witnesses, we have the Skipper of the Coast Guard vessel that was on scene that night, and the pilot of a Pan-Am jet that was flying overhead at the time. He has a pretty interesting story to share as well."

The Shag Harbour UFO Incident Society applied for Canada 150 funding earlier this year, but were denied.

The society then received a large donation from an anonymous donor earlier this year.

Zinck says people from all over North America will be in Shag Harbour, and pre-sale tickets were in the hundreds.

The festival starts tonight with a keynote speaker and music from John Mullane at the Woods Harbour Community Centre.

There will be bus tours of the incident site as well.

For more information, go to shagharbourincident.wordpress.com.