"The Father Of My Children Would Not Have Died": Widow Nadine Larche On RCMP Guilty Verdict Of Inadequate Equipment & Training

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2017 12:14 PM

A judge found the RCMP guilty of failing to provide adequate use of force equipment and training in relation to the shooting deaths of three officers in Moncton in June 2014.

However, Judge Leslie Jackson found the RCMP not guilty of two other charges relating to the provision of adequate training and supervision.

The judge also stayed a fourth charge about the health and safety of RCMP members saying the first charge already covered those issues.

A sentencing hearing is planned for two days starting November 23rd.

The RCMP can be fined up to one million dollars for that single guilty verdict.

No individual RCMP officer or manager was named in the four charges initially laid against the organization.

Nadine Larche, widow of Constable Doug Larche who was shot and killed on June 4th, 2014, said she was satisfied with the verdict today.

She restated her belief that if RCMP officers had been properly equipped that day "my husband would not have died, [and] the father of my children would not have died."

Widow of Constable Dave Ross, Racheal, said she was "happy my husband didn't die in vain."

The RCMP released a statement shortly after the verdict was announced saying "they respect the judicial process, and will review the decision and consider next steps."

The release goes on to say "the health and safety of our employees continues to be the top priority of the RCMP" as they continue implementing the recommendations from the MacNeil Report.

In the release, the RCMP state "today's verdict will not change the tragic reality that on June 4, 2014, we lost three friends, and colleagues - and nearly lost more - to the actions of one man."

The RCMP ended the release saying they would not be commenting further at this time.