East Jordan Home Destroyed In Fire

Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2017 11:48 AM

A family home was destroyed in East Jordan yesterday after a generator being used outside the house caught fire.

The three adult occupants escaped unharmed but lost a family pet.

Fire departments from Jordan, Lockeport, and Shelburne all responded to the scene after receiving a call just before 3 p.m.

Dale Slack, chief of the Jordan Fire Department, says the weather conditions played a part in how quickly the blaze spread.

"(The home owner) had a generator hooked up outside of the building and it seems like the generator either exploded or had a leak and started a fire and with the winds it just full engulfed the house in minutes," says Slack.

Slack says it's always a worry for fire departments when people are dealing with a lack of power and heat in the winter.

Candles, generators, and wood burning heat can lead to an increase in fire calls.

The weather also created a struggle for firefighters dealing with the blaze.

"The pumps froze up on two of the trucks but it was a good turn out from all the guys, being soaked from head to toe, being out in the cold weather."

An out building was also destroyed in the fire.

The department was called in at 5:30 this morning to deal with a flare up on the property.